Sunday, September 16, 2007

Redneck Baby does NOT like shoes, (but does like lemonade)...











Mom made it up yesterday and we had a simply splendid afternoon. When she got here, the bebe' was finishing up his morning nap, so we had a little time to catch up. After he woke up, we got him all ready to go, in the cutest little wind pants and a little hat, and his new shoes!! I was so proud. He did really well for the first hour or so, (during which we had a great lunch at a local coffee shop that I had never been to). Upon leaving, he promptly began to scream. And by scream, I mean some concert-quality wailing. As I've mentioned before, my child is almost too good, (again, I'm sure I will really get it with my next one), and he never, NEVER fusses for more than the 2-3 minutes it takes to either fix him a bottle or put him to sleep. So, when he had been at it for 10 or 15 minutes, I knew something was amiss. Mom and I went through all the scenarios--it's his teeth, maybe he has a belly ache, (I should have never given him that dill pickle), on, and on. Then his face starts getting all blotchy. Mom thinks he's having an allergic reaction, (can a kid be allergic to dill pickles?). I'm trying to insist his face is probably just getting red because of the fit he's throwing...All this time mind you, he's still sqallin' like he's a bear with his paw in a trap. Then, I think--I bet it's the shoes. We finally get him back to the car, and I strip off his shoes and socks. Voila! The bebe' immediately stops crying. So we left the shoes off for the rest of the day. :)
The sidewalk sale was disappointing really, so we ventured on to the neighboring town's Fall Festival. We had so much fun! I bought lots of fun things, (including some delicious smelling tarts for my tart burner, some cute jewelry, and an adoreable "home is where mom is" artsy-looking wall plaque), and we ate lots of good food. One of the booths was selling 'honey lemonade', and it was soooo good. The muffin went nuts for it! We wandered around all afternoon, and then had coffee and desert at another cute coffee shop. The coffee came in these tiny little French presses, which very much added to the atmosphere... I felt like I should have been sporting spectacles and a beret, toting around a copy of some classic novel.








After finishing up, we gathered all our purchases and headed back to the crib. Mom hung out with the muffin while I got his bath things ready and then she got on the road. Of course, the bebe' was an absolute nightmare to put to sleep. He was overtired, and still rearin' to go at the same time, so he fought sleep like a little prince fighting a dragon. His eyelids would just begin to droop and he would start shaking his little head and rubbing his face. He finally gave in. (Isn't it amazing how an hour doesn't sound like very long, but when you've got a fussy baby on your hands, it feels like the whole night?)
Today we've just been hanging out. Oddly enough, when I put the little one down for his morning nap, I got the urge to clean! I put one of my new cranberry tarts in the burner, pulled my hair back, and gave the whole house a once-over. Let's just say, it was a bit embarrassing to see how bad that needed to be done. But, I felt very accomplished when I finished! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment