Thursday, September 27, 2007

Love Letter to My Son

Baby C:


Tonight I laid my head on your little chest while you were sleeping. I listened to you breathe in and out, and I counted the beats of your heart. I watched as you squirmed to get comfortable, your mouth smacking like an old man as you finally settled in, stretching your arms out above your head, your belly sticking out of your pajama shirt. You had a tuft of hair standing up near your ear, and I smoothed it down. As I kissed your baby hand, your eyes opened just a bit, your fingers reaching out to search for me. When your hand touched my cheek, you closed your eyes and drifted off again. Everyone says the cliche' things like, "You'll never know anything like a mother's love", and "Just wait until you have kids--then you'll understand". Even when I was still pregnant with you, I would always inwardly roll my eyes while outwardly nodding in polite agreement. But tonight, when I felt a tear brim up over the corner of my eye, and then roll down my cheek as I watched you sleeping, I knew they were right. I never knew such a small person could make such a big feeling in me. You were once a part of my body, and you will always be a part of my soul. We will always be connected, you and me, for the rest of our lives and beyond.



No comments:

Post a Comment