Saturday, August 4, 2007

Lazy Saturday Mornings are the best invention ever!


Mood: Relaxed and very much content
I'm Reading: "The Double Bind", by Chris Bohjalian
I'm Listening: Elmo singing on Sesame Street :)
Mmmmm. Nothin' like a lazy Saturday morning. I remember when I was little, several things were staples at my house. First of all, NONE of us would be out of our PJ's before noon. I can so clearly remember the smell of my Dad's coffee--he always had a mug in his hands along with the paper or a magazine, lounging around in his ratty sweat pants and his silly boat shoes. My brother and I would vegitate on the couch, watching cartoons and picking at each other, and later my Mom would take us to Nanny's house to do the bulletin for church the next day. While there, Grampa would invariably be taking his mid-day nap and Ryan and I would stealthily sneak into Nanny's old makeup and proceed to "makeover" Grampa while he slept. Of course, I know we woke him up, but he would always pretend to be asleep, and then "wake up" so surprised that he looked like a horribly disfigured female troll... :) I'll have to find a picture of that somewhere.



Then, a few years later, some of my favorite Saturday mornings were spent with my brother and Mom. Ryan and I would always wake up first, and then go jump in Mom's bed, where we would all lay around and talk the morning away. We would plan our day, talk about school and our lives.




Now, I have my own son--and just this morning, I woke to the feeling of an ever-so-small index finger being poked up my nose. Upon opening my eyes, I found myself looking at quite possibly the most beautiful almost-toothless smile I've ever seen. (Usually almost-toothless smiles are not really that attractive). :) Baby C then, after he was sure that I was thourougly awake, proceeded to repeat the exercise with his daddy, eliciting a snort that pretty much scared his pants off. I thought, as I was pulling my shirt sleeve out of my baby's mouth, that this was quite possibly what life is all about----Lazy Saturday mornings. It's funny how life cycles around isn't it? As I'm typing this, I have a mug of coffee sitting on the computer desk, I'm in my ratty sweats, and I'm learning to count to ten with the gang on Sesame Street. Life goes on.......

No comments:

Post a Comment