Saturday, April 12, 2008

Welcome to the fam!


Yesterday, the Baby-Daddy and I became the proud parents of a new TRAILBLAZER! We finally found something we could both agree on, and then we finally found a car salesman who would meet my crazy demands! (Not for lack of fighting however.) I've decided that BD and I are the best car-buying team in the history of the Universe.

We totally played on the 'good-cop/bad-com' bit, (I got the honor of being "the witch whom no one can please". BD had NO trouble making that believable...) and we got our truck! A few snippets from our very long, but profitable evening:

Car Salesman: I can get it down to $XXX. That's only
$50 away from what you wanted!

ME: Go fish. (This followed by a "You just can't do
anything with her" shrug from BabyDaddy)

***5 minutes later***

Car Salesman: All-righty folks, if you're willing to put
$500 down, I can't get your payments to $XXX. That's just $30 away!

Baby Daddy: That's a pretty good deal Meg. Whaddya
think?

ME: For that price, you can give me that Escalade out in
the lot. (Lot's of eye-rolling from BD.)

***Twenty Minutes Later***

Car Salesman: Whew! You sure drive a hard
bargain! Okay, I'll let you take it off the lot for $200 down, and your
payments would be $XXX. That's just $10 away from what you want.
That's like a Tombstone Pizza!

ME: Better your Tombstone than mine. I want it on
the road with nothing down, and I want you to take off the $10.

**An "Is this girl for real?!" look passes between BD and the
salesman**

***10 Minutes Later***

Car Salesman (sighing in exasperation): Final offer. Nothing
down, on the road for $XXX. That's five dollars more than what you
originally wanted.

ME: Guess you worked hard enough for those five dollars.
We'll take it. Where are the keys?

Now, the really hilarious thing, which my bff AS will be happy to corroborate, is that a freaking forty-year-old man going door-to-door pretending to be a girl-scout could easily sell me $150 in molded newspapers. No joke. So my performance at the car lot was indeed quite miraculous. As we pulled off the lot, and I snuggled down into the heated leather seats, (Never you mind that this is April, I LOVE those things!), the BabyDaddy flashed me his most pleased smile and said, "From now on, you handle the cars, and I'll handle the magazine salesmen". "All right," I said, and then we gave each other a high-five.

No comments:

Post a Comment