Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Everything in Moderation...

While reading the latest issue of Parents, I found myself wondering, really wondering, if people follow this stuff. "Edamame is Excellent!" (I had to google edamame- it's a baby soybean if you were wondering yourself; looks a little bit like a stunted pea.) "You're Not a Good Mother unless you purchase these phthalate and BPA free baby bottles - only $24.99 each!" or perhaps "Your toddler isn't engaged unless they are playing on a custom CedarWorks play set!" Now, to be fair, I do usually really enjoy Parents, and they do have a lot of good suggestions and useful information (like Mommy's read Parents for the news stories -- sort of like dudes read Playboy or Maxim for the articles -- Mommy's are oogling the eye candy too. Luxury cribs, designer baby rompers, and glam kid bedrooms. Oh My!) But really. I do normally like the magazine. This time, I decided that just for chucks, I'd take a gander at one of these recommended 'wonder' swing/play sets. My jaw dropped upon seeing the first page, (go ahead, take a gander yourself! http://www.cedarworks.com/). Then I just got crazy. So, for your viewing (and my venting) pleasure, I have self-nominated the following items for the Muffin's Christmas list this year:







Vintage look 'Baby Dior' tee -- $250. (Wouldn't want to let him eat spaghetti wearing that! Or cherry Popsicle, or chocolate pudding, or a corn dog. Hmmm, maybe we could just frame it and hang it in his bedroom....)

Custom-built Cedar Works Play set -- Um, they didn't give a price. Ya'll know THAT'S never a good sign. BabyDaddy and I have negotiated on this one and decided that we might make that far gazebo a little smaller, or possibly eliminate the rock climbing wall - much more understated that way. Plus, then we could actually have a square foot or two of actual ground space left. Maybe enough to fit a yard chair at least...

Hot-rod Kidz Luxury Ride On -- $18,995. Because every little boy should have a chromed-out, leather interior-ed mean machine eh? Of course, this means I don't get a new car for the next ten years. Gee, I hope the Corolla can get another three hundred thousand miles...

Lilliput Classic Bungalow -- $9,995. Now I know the Muffin is a boy, but you do realize that 'gender-neutral play' is all the rage these days, yes? BD thought the above was a little girly, (even though I fell in love with the indoor stair case and mini-loft), so I thought we'd go more in this direction:

The description, (again with the non-existent price list), for this little slice of the good life was

"This beautiful replica of the family’s 100+ year old home comes complete with
French doors, interior crown molding and chair rail, wainscoting, air
conditioning, two slides, rock climbing wall, sandbox, and swings. Childhood
sure is sweet!"

I'm thinking, "You had me at 'air conditioning'...." The more I looked at this stuff, the madder I got. People had enough money to buy this crap? Why don't I have enough money to buy this crap? But then I thought about it and realized that these kids were the unlucky ones. These kids, on their bajillion thread-count sheets in their Pottery Barn catalog rooms that drive to the guest house in their miniature replica hot rods actually might be getting the short end of the proverbial stick. Why? Because I can guarantee that they'll probably never know the joy of imagination. What's to imagine in a world like that? They probably aren't allowed the processed sugar found in Popsicles, they don't know how to find cloud animals in the sky, and they would never dream of splashing through a mud puddle just to see how dirty they can get. Their nannies would probably scream. So it's okay that most of the time, my kid is in hand-me-downs or outfits from our local Kohl's or Wal-Mart. It's okay that we go to the park to play on the giant mega-play sets instead of buying one for our own. (Heck - it's free!) It's okay that we make spy glasses out of toilet paper rolls and funny disguises out of pipe cleaners. It's good to be in the middle. Enough to survive and splurge every now and then, but not enough to forget how to be grateful. Blast, I guess we won't be getting that mammoth swing set after all. But, I'm sure the Muffin will be just fine without it. In fact, he'll probably be better without it. ***Brushing hands and stepping off soapbox***

No comments:

Post a Comment