Thursday, November 1, 2007

I love this

Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family. Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted.

~Paul Pearshall



Isn't this terribly true? I find myself often being guilty of taking my family for granted. You would think as someone who suffered the sudden and tragic loss of a brother, I would be immune to this, but all too often, I find myself slipping back into the 'ease' of thinking that everything will always be the way it is. I will always have my grandparents, my parents, my husband, my child.... After the 'Great Hunter' returned from his trip, he told me about an event, which up to now, I have not shared with many. They were driving through the night in shifts, in the hopes of making it home faster. It was Kevin's turn at the wheel--he had the cruise control on, his feet away from the pedals. He saw a truck on the other, oncoming side of the intersate flashing his lights. Another truck passed doing the same thing. Turning his eyes back to his side of the interstate, he sees headlights. A car is speeding down the interstate in his lane. With almost no time to react, he throws on the brakes and swerves to miss the vehicle, the trailer he was hauling starting to fishtail. By some miracle, the cars in the other lanes were able to get out of Kevin's way, and no one was hurt. Kevin said he just sat there, watching the cops speed after the car down the interstate. Hearing my husband tell me this, and picturing how easily the story could have had a different ending, I realized I was at it again. Things may NOT always be the way they are, with the people you love surrounding you. I've renewed my efforts at thanking God each day I'm alive, and lovin' on my family as much as possible. It is an awful thing that it always takes a loss or a close call to bring you back down to earth, but as humans, I guess that's the way we are. Everyone says that teenagers think they and everyone around them are invincible, but I think we all think that in one way or another.


I'm going to go hug my husband now. :)

More on our Halloween exploits later.......

No comments:

Post a Comment