Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays!

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. You can play too! Just do the following:

*Grab your current read.
*Open to a random page.
*Share two (or more) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.
--BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!-- (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
*Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

If you have a Teaser on this lovely Tuesday, leave a comment on this post with your link!

My Teaser is From: The Serpent’s Tale – By Ariana Franklin
Synopsis: (Taken From Amazon)
When Rosamund Clifford, Henry II's mistress, is poisoned, Dr. Vesuvia Adelia Rachel Ortese Aguilar must draw on her formidable forensic skills to try to uncover the killer. The prime suspect is Henry's estranged wife, Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, who once plotted to overthrow the king. Adelia reunites with Rowley Picot, now a bishop as well as the father of Adelia's child, and the two set out on a dangerous journey, during which they brave a blizzard and Eleanor's band of ruthless mercenaries.

Teaser: (I’m giving you two separate passages, because I can’t choose one over the other!)

From the beloved Gyltha, aged nursemaid, completely backwoods and completely lovely:
“Get ‘er used to it,” Gyltha said. “Her’ll see plenty of hangings as she grows. My pa took me to my first ‘un when I were three year old. Enjoyed it too, I did.”
---pg. 238

And from Adelia, the splendid protagonist:
For motherhood, while another joy, had burdened her with a tearing and unexpected anxiety, as if her senses had been transferred into the body of her daughter, and by a lesser extension, into that of all children. Adelia, who’d once considered anyone below the age of reason to be alien and had treated them as such, was now open to their grief, their slightest pain, any unhappiness.
---pg. 86
Note:I am falling in love with the work of Ariana Franklin! I just finished Mistress of the Art of Death, the first in her ‘Adelia’ series, and I happily and anxiously dove into Serpent’s Tale. What a wonderful blend of wonderful things! I could best describe it as a hybrid Medieval-times-meet-CSI: New York-meet-Morgan-Freeman-and-Brad-Pitt-in-Seven-meet-fabulous! Seriously! It’s a forensic science, historical-fiction thriller, no kidding.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really good!

    Love the look of your blog!

    My teaser:

    http://laurel-rainsnowsreflections.blogspot.com/2009/12/teaser-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Historical fiction AND a murder mystery -- sounds great!!

    Mine is here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this book, I hope you do as well. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2009/12/saying-goodbye-to-2009-teaser-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read this one yet, but I'm a big fan of Ariana Franklin, too. Nice teaser! Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete