Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's Teaser Tuesday!

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. You can play too! Just do the following:

*Grab your current read.
*Open to a random page.
*Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page. --BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!-- (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
*Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!





My Teaser: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie – By Alan Bradley

Synopsis: (Taken From Amazon)
It's the beginning of a lazy summer in 1950 at the sleepy English village of Bishop's Lacey. Up at the great house of Buckshaw, aspiring chemist Flavia de Luce passes the time tinkering in the laboratory she's inherited from her deceased mother and an eccentric great uncle. When Flavia discovers a murdered stranger in the cucumber patch outside her bedroom window early one morning, she decides to leave aside her flasks and Bunsen burners to solve the crime herself, much to the chagrin of the local authorities. But who can blame her? What else does an eleven-year-old science prodigy have to do when left to her own devices?

Teaser:

“If there is a thing I truly despise, it is being addressed as “dearie”. When I write my magnum opus, A Treatise Upon All Poisons, and come to “Cyanide,” I am going to put under “Uses” the phrase “Particularly efficacious in the cure of those who call one ‘Dearie’.”
--11-year-old Flavia Sabina de Luce, pg. 62


And one more for road. (Just because it spoke to me.)
“…it occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No…eight days a week.”
--Flavia Sabina De Luce, pg. 57

Note:
I’m still in the first half of this book, but I am ever-so-slowly watching it meander up from the “Okay, You Have my Attention” category to the “It’s Official: I Adore You” category. What a darling, caustic, precocious protagonist-- I love books with strong characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment