Friday, January 30, 2009

Sight is a perception...

Ben Underwood
January 26, 1992 - January 19, 2009

I was amazed when I first saw the documentary about Ben on TV. Ben was the only person known in the world who used echolocation, (comparable to sonar, similar to what dolphins use to navigate in the ocean) to see. Now, I am saddened to learn that he has passed away as a result of the cancer that cost him his sight. I was just as profoundly affected by his mother Aquanetta, and the strength she possesses. As I watched his documentary again tonight, tears streamed down my face as I listed to her speak. After the surgery to remove his eyes,(and save his life), three-year-old Ben woke up from surgery crying, "Mommy, I can't see! I can't see Mommy!" Aquanetta looked at her baby boy and said, "Yes you can baby. You can see me with your hands. Do you feel my face? You can see me with your nose. Do you smell me? You can see me with your ears. Listen to my voice. You. Can. See."



I was deeply affected by this story, as I know countless people have been. You can see the documentary on YouTube at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLziFMF4DHA , or find more videos about him by typing his name, Ben Underwood, in the YouTube search box. You can see his website at http://www.benunderwood.com/ . May God bless this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment