Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's Me! I'm Here! New year, new job, new hobby, same ol' me....

So, you missed me yes? I finally got tired of all my friends burning up my hotmail, work mail, facebook wall, and decided to get back on the horse! I'm rounding up my first month at my new state (ooh-la-la) job, and now that I'm settling in, should be able to get back to my regularly scheduled programming. So here, ladies, and ladies, (and at least one gent that I know of -- Love ya weirdo!) are the highlights of the past few weeks.


Christmas -- Fabuloso! The Muffin was so psyched on Christmas morning. He kept asking, "Presents now Mommy? Now? NOW??!!!" Out of everything, the title of 'most favorite gift' was a close tie between the View Finder, and the Hulk gloves that scream and make smashing noises when you pummel things. (I had to explain that it wasn't nice to demonstrate on the dogs, although I do believe it mostly to be a healthy way of expressing exasperation, which the Muffin seems to be doing quite often these days.)



New Year -- Another evening splendidly spent with the S. family. My fave Lil' Diva played an enormously effective babysitter for Lil' C, while the grown ups played round after round of Pictionary Man. (The gals smashed the boys, in case you were wondering. Take THAT Daddy J!) No 'adult' drinks this year -- what with Ames still baking her bun and all, but hey -- only 3 more months to go! The kiddos stayed up (and mostly out of trouble) until the ball dropped, and then we shuttled ourselves home for the night. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite New Year's traditions.





Disney -- What can I say? Can Disney even be described? Amazing? Wonderful? Best time of my life? Close maybe. Let's just say we are already trying to decide when we can go back. I have never seen Lil' C so excited in my life. One of my thousand favorite memories is walking under the huge Disney sign, and the Muffin throwing his hands up and squealing,"We're here! We're here!" It truly is a magical place, both for the Muffin, and BabyDaddy and I. Daddy pulled out all the stops, and on top of the crazy fantastic-ness that was Disney, got us front and center seats to a sold-out show of the Blue Man Group. Honestly, that was probably Lil' C's favorite part of the vacation. He got some blue light-up drum sticks, and plays his little drums happily chanting, "I Bwue Man Gwooooop!"


Lil's C's 2nd Birthday -- It made me a bit teary I'll admit, but it was loads of fun for the Muffin. In fact, he practiced blowing out his candles for weeks. I will have to say that the Children's Museum was a lovely place to have his party. All the kiddos, and the adults I might add, had a great time. A HUGE kudos to Miss Jeannie, who created the masterpiece that was his birthday cake -- we'll never forget it!


New Job -- I'm getting there. The first week was complete and utter chaos, as most "first" days and weeks at new jobs go. I literally came home every day thinking my head was going to pop off. Don't laugh, but I think one of the worst parts was that my office wasn't pretty. No kidding. It had been a man's office before, and was just plain institutional looking. But don't you worry about me my pretties -- I spiced that sucker up. I had to do it a little at a time, because I noticed that people were looking at me funny when I brought in my Rubbermaid Tote of goodies. So, I snuck it in a little at a time in a ridiculously huge hobo bag. :) Now I have my ficus, my pictures, my coffee maker, air infuser, photo calendars, and coat hanger. All set! Did I mention that I have a snazzy little badge that I have to swipe in order to get into the building? And the neighborhood library (yes, I was there my first day on the job) does biometric fingerprint scanning instead of using a library card? I feel like I've died and gone to a James Bond movie!



New Hobby -- Letterboxing. Heard of it? Nope? You will, my friends, you will. My new favorite coworker casually mentioned this activity during a conversation about our mutual Disney experiences. It's like a treasure/scavenger hunt. The quick and the short of it is this: There are 'letterboxes' hidden all around the U.S. The boxes include a stamp, (usually hand-carved), and a logbook. There are clues posted on the Internet to the whereabouts of these boxes. You search for them, make an impression of their stamp in your family log book, and then stamp the log in the letterbox with your family stamp. (I purchased our family stamp at Michael's. We are three monkeys. Don't you find it quite appropriate?) Anyway, I spent this past weekend with my lovely mother, who is and always will be a child-at-heart like myself. We spent the entire weekend - along with Grampa J, and the Muffin in tow - looking for these boxes, and I dare say it was the most fun I've had in oh, let's say forever. YOU. MUST. LETTERBOX. The clues led us to such neat places! More info at: http://www.atlasquest.com/ , and http://www.letterbox.org/ . On Atlasquest, if you choose the link at the top marked 'letterboxes', and then choose 'simple search', you can type in your city, and see letterboxes in the area!


All right dearies -- we are at T-ten minutes and counting until Grey's Anatomy, and you DO know how I am about Grey's yes? M-kay then, signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment