Monday, May 19, 2008

Another jewel in the crown of the City Fire Department...

So my weekend was most certainly not the stuff dreams are made of. Well, my Sunday at least. Saturday actually was quite enjoyable. We made the trip down (again) to the farm, this time with my in-laws in tow. Daddy G has this obsession with an Amish painter who lives 15 minutes away from my mom down in God’s Country. So every May, after his birthday, he makes the drive down to get more of the Amish man’s work. Since BabyDaddy and I have now been together for five years, and his parents have never been to my house, we thought now would be as good a time as any to have them over for a BBQ on the river.

We spent the morning and early afternoon stuck behind various horse-drawn vehicles, but managed to make stops at the Amish Painter’s, the Amish General Store, and their Greenhouse as well. Then, we headed down to the holler at Mom’s for a fish fry. My friend Jess got to join us, which was lovely, and we ended up not arriving back home until after midnight.

Then comes Sunday. To preface, the Muffin was in a stormy mood all day. I think it was a mix of allergies and him being dog-tired from all the excitement of Saturday. He woke up early, and I got the cartoons started and his breakfast ready. (None of that “t.v. is bad for kids” dialogue now, I’m sick to death of it. If he wants to watch Sponge Bob all day, then darn it, he shall. ESPECIALLY when he’s in a rotten mood to start with – it keeps me sane.) When we finished that, I stepped outside to water the flowers we had gotten at the Amish Greenhouse. I’m normally not a very good plant person, all of mine most usually die, but I was determined to keep these alive since we just bought them. I could have sworn that I made sure the door was unlocked….. as soon as I stepped outside, I heard the door slam, and a maniacal giggle. My first thought was “OH CRAP”. Then my stomach dropped. I ran through the back gate and to the patio doors. Locked. He ran up, laughing and waving like crazy. “MaMA! MaMA!” (Yes, my sweet, isn’t this fun?) I ran to the bedroom windows, banging on them like a madwoman. Also locked. I see his little fingers pull at the blinds and he maneuvers himself in between them and the window. “Hi Mama!” I went so far as to ask him to unlock the window, then I realized, “Heck, my kid’s smart, but he's not THAT smart…”. I ran over to the neighbor’s house to use her phone (in my rattiest pajamas as you could have guessed). I call BD and go back to the house to wait. We played peek-a-boo through the front window until I could hear sirens screaming. BD and crew rode up in full glory -- as soon as the Muffin saw the firetruck, he started jumping up and down, and screaming "DADADADADADADA!!!" Yay. Of course, all the firemen roll out of the truck and up the driveway to belittle me while BD unlocks the house and picks up the Bebe'. BD's good friend patted me on the back and said, "Glad we could be of service to you ma'am." I gave him the finger. "Dada Truck!" said the Muffin, pointing to the fire engine, pleased as apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment