Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Help

Some of the best books make you uncomfortable. They make your brain stretch. They make your heart stretch. "The Help" was like that for me. Told from the view points of three women, Skeeter, a rich white young lady trying to be the force of change in 1960's Mississippi, and Aibileen and Minny, two black women just trying to survive. The three come together to form an interesting and unforgettable relationship. Read it. :)





Skeeter
At the League Meetings, girls are short, to the point with me when discussing business. I try to convince myself I don't care. I fix myself at my typewriter and don't leave most days. I tell myself, that's what you get when you put thirty-one toilets on the most popular girl's front yard. People tend to treat you a little differently than before.

Aibileen
"How come you're colored, Abilileen?"
Now I've gotten this question a few times from my other white kids. I used to just laugh, but I want to get this right with her. "Cause God made me colored," I say. "And there ain't another reason in the world."
"Miss Taylor says kids that are colored can't go to my school cause they're not smart enough."
I come round the counter then. Lift her chin up and smooth back her funny-looking hair. "You think I'm dumb?"
"No," she whispers hard, like she means it so much. She look sorry she said it.
"What that tell you bout Miss Taylor then?"
She blink, like she listening good.
"Means Miss Taylor ain't right all the time," I say.
She hug me round my neck, say, "You're righter than Miss Taylor." I tear up then. My cup is spilling over. Those is new words to me.

Minny
"Can't sleep. Can't eat," I say.
"I tell you, that Celia must be the worst one you ever had to tend to."
"They all bad. But she the worst of all."
"Ain't they? You remember that time Miss Walter make you pay for the crystal glass you broke? Ten dollars out a your pay? Then you find out them glasses only cost three dollars apiece down at Carter's?"
"Mm-hmm."
"Oh, and you remember that crazy Mister Charlie, who make you eat lunch outside, even in the middle of January? Even when it snowed that time?"
"Make me cold just thinking bout it."
"And what --" Aibileen is chuckling, trying to talk at the same time. "What about that Miss Roberta? Way she make you sit at the kitchen table while she try out her new hair dye solution on you?" Aibileen wipes at her eyes. "Lord, I never seen blue hair on a black woman before or since. Leroy say you look like a cracker from outer space."
"Now, ain't nothing funny bout that. Took me three weeks and twenty-five dollars to get my hair black again."

1 comment: